Members of the Bulloch Hall Quilt Guild strongly believe in reaching out to the community and helping those in need. Since we are quilt makers, sewing and donating quilts to nonprofit organizations is one arm of our charity efforts. This year, we have again chosen two groups to receive our quilts: The Drake House in Roswell and the Quilts of Valor.
The Drake House
Founded in 2004, The Drake House offers emergency residential housing for women and children in North Fulton County, Georgia. This program offers crisis housing and empowerment programs to single homeless mothers and their minor children. In nine years of existence, Drake House has served 330 families with 611 children. It is through strong community support that the small staff and large volunteer base are able to assist families to reach their goals.
The Drake House Closet opened in November 2011 in support of the Drake House. It is located at 825 Mimosa Blvd in Historic Roswell, GA.
Quilts of Valor
The Quilts of Valor Foundation (QOVF) is a national effort to cover all returning service men and women touched by war. These wartime quilts are a tangible reminder of an Americans appreciation and gratitude. Our troops who have been touched by war are awarded this token of appreciation that unequivocally says, “Thank you for your service, sacrifice and valor”.
- Size: Generous lap-sized quilt. Recommended 60"x80"; Minimum 55"x65"
- Fabric: 100% cotton (preferably quilt shop fabric), high thread count and good quality. Fabric appropriate for an adult
- Backing Fabric: Same quality as the front. Remember it should be something a wounded person would want against their skin, (soft and snuggly). Your QOV is being made to provide comfort and healing.
- Washing: Wash your quilt after it is quilted and bound
- Labeling: Must say Quilt of Valor and include a blank for name of recipient. Should include first names of piecer and quilter including the state. Do not include more than your first name and state.
- Journal: Include a written note to the recipient
- Presentation: Make a coordinating pillowcase or bag in which to place your QOV
Nancy's Notions(R) Little Britches for Africa
Nancy's Notions(R) Little Dresses for Africa